Frequently Asked Questions - All FAQs

Please select your question category
Search FAQs
No. You must take the CAT in a computer lab at a university or community college.
Scores are usually posted within 2-4 days. To view your content test scores, you can log-in to the ETS website.

You must go through the registration process with Pearson to view dates and times for open testing locations. The CAT is offered seven days a week at most locations.

The passing score for a TExES content exam is 240. The score is broken down by domain/competency areas on the exam.

The Pre-Admission Content Test allows you to take your TExES content exam prior to enrolling in an alternative certification program. The PACT allows you to challenge any exam regardless of the number of credit hours you have on your transcript.

Your TEA ID number is listed when you log-in to your SBEC account.
Yes. You are required to pass the BTLPT in order to be recommended for your standard teaching certificate at the conclusion of your internship.

No. You must pass your content exam before you can be considered for an open teaching position in Texas.

The cost of the TExES content test is $116. If you need to take a Core Subjects Individual Subject Test, the cost is $65 per test.

Yes. If you want to add a certification area, we can review your file. If the certification is approved (based on transcripts), then you will be allowed to challenge the exam.

Yes. The most common add on certifications are Core Subjects EC-6 or Core Subjects 4-8. This will help you qualify for all special education teaching positions.

An online application is available at this link --
Once your admission documents have been received, it usually takes between 2-3 business days to receive a formal invitation to be accepted into WCACP.

Yes. A new cohort class is started each month. Check the cohort class link to make sure you don’t miss the deadline.

Your acceptance offer to begin WCACP is valid for 30 days.
The service record can be obtained by contacting the Human Resource or Personnel office at each school district where you were previously employed.

Yes. You will need to submit TOEFL scores to gain entry into the alternative certification program. Review the graduated outside of the US instructions for more information about TOEFL requirements and passing scores.

Graduating seniors that are in their final semester of coursework can begin the alternative certification program on a provisional basis. You will be eligible to begin the coursework and take your content exam while you are finishing the requirements for your degree. The contingency admission will be valid for only the semester for which the contingency admission was granted and may not be extended for another semester.
If your overall and last 60 hours of coursework is below a 2.50 GPA, you can be considered for the low GPA exemption. Low GPA exemption -
You can apply to the program if you have a conferred Bachelor’s degree or if you are currently working in the last semester of coursework towards your undergraduate degree.

Yes. You will need a Low GPA Exemption to be accepted into WCACP if your GPA falls below 2.50. To qualify for an exemption, you will need to pass your TExES content exam (i.e., Math 7-12), document one year of experience in a related field on your resume, and submit all your admission paperwork. If granted a Low GPA Exemption, you will be required to pay a $400 start-up cost.

All fees paid to the program are non-refundable. This includes the curriculum access fee, tuition fee, or field experience fee payments made during the program.

The Freedom Program allows you to set-up reoccurring monthly payments as low as $50 per month. This will help reduce your tuition fee balance.

You can pay a portion or your entire tuition fee as you progress through the online curriculum. You also have the option to defer these payments until your field experience assignment begins.
No. The field experience fee is only deducted once you start an approved internship or clinical teaching assignment.
Yes. You will receive the normal salary and benefits of a first year teacher at the district.
No. You will only receive a salary once you start your one-year teaching internship.
Since we are not a university the program does not qualify for student loan deferment.
You can contact a staff member at

PO Box 1138 Cypress, TX 77410-1138

Transcripts should ONLY be sent to the address below.

etools4Education / WCACP
Attn: Gabriel Brackett
3915 West Davis, Suite 130, PMB 355
Conroe, TX 77304

No. Currently the program is not approved for 911 GI Bill payments.

Yes. Please follow the transcript policy when ordering primary or secondary transcripts.

etools4Education / WCACP
Attn: Gabriel Brackett
3915 West Davis, Suite 130, PMB 355
Conroe, TX 77304

You can send application documents by certified mail.

etools4Education / WCACP
Attn: Gabriel Brackett
3915 West Davis, Suite 130, PMB 355
Conroe, TX 77304

Typically, teaching positions are available year-around. However, the most active time for school districts to hire teaching candidates from WCACP is between May and August. Teacher job fairs usually begin in March and continue through June. In addition, the time period between December and January is a secondary hiring period.
Yes, a Program Director will be available to critique your resume, cover letter, references page or thank you letter to ensure successfully transition into the teaching field. Templates to help get you started are provided in the online curriculum.
WCACP will assist you in locating vacancies by providing valuable resources and contact points to help you find a teaching position. You will go through the normal application and interview process to be considered for open teaching positions.

No. The one-year teaching internship must be completed at a school district, accredited private school or charter school in the state of Texas.

1. Passed TExES content exam
2. 30 clock hours of observations documented
3. Completion of the first two sections in the online curriculum
4. Fingerprinting process complete
5. Complete Reading Safari and Pre-Service classes

A teaching candidate that has been accepted by WCACP and hired for a teaching assignment by a school after July 15th.

Yes. A teaching candidate that meets the definition of a late hire will be required to complete 30 hours of observations, Module 1 (Instructional Strategies) within 90 school days of starting a teaching assignment.

To begin your probationary certificate with an Independent School District in Texas, all items mentioned below must be met:

1. Passed TExES content and PPR exam

2. Completion of 30 clock hours of field based observations

3. Completion of Module 1 and Module 2 in curriculum

4. Completion of Reading Safari and Pre-Service classes

5. Fingerprinting process complete

6. Hired full-time in your content area at an Independent School District, TEA recognized private school, or charter school in the state of Texas.

You will have to check with each individual state because each has their own procedures when it comes to teaching certificates.
No. To obtain a Standard Teaching Certificate in the state of Texas you have to be a teacher of record for one school year. This involves teaching full time in your designated content area.

Yes. To receive credit during your probationary year, a private school must be accredited and recognized by TEA.

Visit the link below to view accredited private schools

You have to finish 200 hours of state mandated curriculum and classes before you begin your internship. Additional coursework and projects are required during your internship assignment.

Your teaching internship with a school district, accredited private school or charter school will last for 12-months. A second probationary year may be required if you do not complete the program requirements before your probationary certificate expires.

A teaching candidate will receive normal pay and benefits of a first year teacher. Depending on the size and location of the school district, pay usually runs between $40,000 to $70,000 per year.

No. We do not offer a Principal Certification at this time.

Click here for a complete list of all the certifications we offer.

Yes. Teaching candidates enrolled in the program will be required to submit fingerprints for a national background check. The fingerprinting process must be completed before you will be allowed to start an internship or clinical teaching assignment.
There is no profile for the ideal candidate. We are looking for teaching candidates with a wide range or backgrounds, who can bring a diverse set of skills and abilities to the teaching profession.

Yes. You can complete the online program from a state outside of Texas. However, your field experience must be completed in Texas.


Yes. All coursework and assignments can be completed online.

Yes. The Web-Centric Alternative Certification Program is accredited by SBEC/TEA. You can view the certification areas WCACP is approved to offer by clicking here. To find our program, click on the drop-down menu and scroll down to Web-Centric ACP.


You can be considered for open teaching positions once you have obtained your HQ Status. This will include passing your content test, submitting your 30 hours of observations, and completing Module 1 in the online curriculum.
Yes. All curriculum for the alternative certification program can be completed online and at your own pace.

It depends if you choose to complete your field experience as an intern or by completing a clinical teaching assignment. Once your field experience has been completed, you will be eligible to receive your standard teaching certificate.

Internship – 180 days in the classroom
Clinical Teaching Assignment – minimum of 14-weeks in the classroom

Yes. You can complete online modules and assignments at your own pace.
The coursework will consist of work at your own pace modules and classes that are offered in the evenings.There are four modules to complete in the online curriculum. In addition, there are two class series (Reading Safari and Pre-Service) that must be completed.
Yes. You can complete your field experience at any Independent School District, TEA recognized private school, or charter school in the state of Texas.

The online program consists of work at your own pace curriculum and online classes that are completed. Most of our chat/distance learning classes are around 30 minutes - 1 hour. Depending on time difference, we will always work with you at a time that will accommodate your schedule.

Yes. If you become inactive. Inactive status will be initiated because of repeated attempts to contact (3-6 months with no response/answer) or when requested by the candidate directly. Program Specialists usually make 8-12 contacts before a candidate is made inactive. The candidate is contacted by email, phone, text, and by mailed letters from program directors.

The mentor teacher is assigned to provide constant positive reinforcement during your one-year teaching internship. The mentor should be available when needed to help answer any questions or concerns an intern may have during the school day.
Usually, the campus principal will assign the intern a mentor teacher for their internship.
No. Textbooks needed during online instruction will be provided.

You will be given full access to the online curriculum and classes within one business day of processing your curriculum access fee. A program introduction call will be set up with your Program Specialist to help guide you towards certification.

No. WCACP must have documentation showing a teaching candidate has met the 30 clock hour requirement before you will be able to start your field experience.
A maximum of 15 hours of virtual observations can be completed to meet the 30 hour requirement.

You can complete your 30 clock hour observation requirement by completing in class or virtual observations.

It depends. In-class and virtual observation hours must be completed while enrolled in WCACP. Long-term substitute observation hours must be within 2 years of enrolling in WCACP.

Yes. You can supplement up to 15 observation hours by utilizing long-term substitute days in the classroom.

Yes. You must submit documentation for WCACP to approve credit. Up to 30 hours of observation can be obtained in this manner.

Yes. You will need to request a service record from the personnel office and submit to WCACP to verify you have not used all three years of eligibility. The three years of eligibility can be a combination of emergency permits issued in Texas and probationary certificates that would be issued by an ACP.
No. Your probationary certificate can only be activated once you start a full-time teaching position in your content area. A principal must hire you for a teaching position before a certificate will be issued.
The state gives you three years of eligibility towards obtaining your teaching certificate. Most interns will finish their requirements for their Standard Certificate within one year. However, some interns may need an additional year of teaching experience before they are recommended for their Standard Certificate.
No. A probationary certificate will be activated only when you have obtained a full-time teaching position in your content area. The teaching position must be at an Independent School District, TEA recognized private school, or charter school in Texas.

Yes. Interns that begin an extra year in the classroom must pay $2,400. Extension fees are typically needed for less than 2% of WCACP interns. An extension is usually a result of poor classroom performance.

No. A probationary certificate is not recommended by WCACP during your 14-week clinical teaching assignment.

A total of three absences are allowed during the clinical teaching assignment. All absences must be made up by the clinical teacher. The clinical teacher is expected to make every effort to be in attendance at the cooperating school each day. Unless prior approval is given by the cooperating teacher, the clinical teacher is not to leave campus during the school day.

The Clinical Teaching Application can be accessed on the Field Experience tab in the My WCACP portal. A Program Specialist will be in contact within 24 hours.
A clinical teaching assignment can be completed at any school district, TEA recognized private school or charter school in the state of Texas.
To continue the integrity and professionalism of our clinical teaching program, we ask the placement fee be processed prior to the placement process beginning. The placement process takes a time commitment by the program, not to mention the time and effort district and school personnel put into setting up your placement.

No. The 14-week clinical teaching assignment is unpaid.

In order to become certified, the following must occur:

(1) complete successful 14-week clinical teaching assignment,
(2) complete all program state requirements on Standard Certificate/Field Experience tab and
(3) have positive recommendations from Cooperating Teacher and WCACP Field Supervisor and
(4) program fees paid in full.

The clinical teaching assignment will last for 14 weeks (70 instructional days) in the classroom.

The CT Coordinator is Charla Howerin. She can be reached at or 832-220-3451.

Yes. The chart shows the breakdown of fees for a clinical teaching assignment vs. teaching internship.

Option #1: Pay in Full - Get a 10% discount off remaining program fees if paid in full

Option #2: Equal Installment Option – 4 months - Divided into four equal payments: 1st payment due as down payment prior to beginning assignment and remaining three monthly payments paid during clinical teaching assignment.

Option #3: Combo Option – 8 Months - Down payment of $750 before assignment begins - spread remaining program fees over 8 months (begins during the 1st month of assignment)

The following requirements must be completed in order for the CT placement process to begin: (1) TExES content exam, (2) Module 1, (3) 30 observation hours and (4) fingerprinting.

Yes. Candidates completing a CT assignment must remain at school during "teacher hours" for that campus during the clinical teaching assignment. Clinical teachers are expected to follow the school procedures, rules and discipline policies.
Yes. The option exists to cancel your clinical teaching placement if you are offered a full time teaching position prior to your clinical teaching start date.
Yes. All fees paid are non-refundable. That includes the CT Placement Fee, Tuition Fee and Field Experience Fee.

An intern certificate is required when a candidate has not passed their PPR exam.

No. An intern certificate is only active for one year. Extension are not allowed.


You will be provided interactive study material and full-length practice tests to help you prepare for the PPR exam. The beginning of the coursework also goes in depth coving the PPR exam.

You get five attempts. A waiver system is offered by the state if you need additional attempts.

Yes. But an intern certificate will be needed.